Hi Dolls and Kens! I wanted to drop off one of my favorite recipes. I have recently gotten into tofu this year trying to be healthier and I found tofu to actually be tasty, providing it is seasoned properly. I searched for many recipes that were easy enough to learn (being brand new to tofu and it’s texture) and I found a southwest breakfast scramble with tofu instead of egg. I figured that was perfect for me. I didn’t have all of the ingredients that the recipe called for though so I came up with my own concoction.
Now I do want to stress that all of my seasoning is never measured with an actual measuring spoon. I like to go by taste and I need my tofu very well seasoned.
Time to prep and make: 20 – 25 minutes.
What you need:
- one package of extra firm tofu (you can use firm tofu, I have tried it and it turns out the same I just prefer extra firm).
- one large tomato or a handful of cherry tomatoes
- one avocado
- 1 tbs of parsley
- 1 tbs of black pepper
- 1 tbs of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tbs of tumeric
- a pinch or two of salt (I’m not a salt person so I don’t need a lot. Remember, go by your preference and taste).
- Bacon. Optional (I cut my package of bacon vertically down the middle so three small pieces of bacon for me is only one and a half full pieces of bacon).
- About half a cup of shredded fiesta cheese. Optional
- Heat your pan or skillet up. I usually put mine on a medium heat because I like to cook my bacon in the pan with my tofu, quicker process and less dishes to clean up.
- Open and drain the tofu. I usually slit my package of tofu up at the top and let the water drain out then I wrap my tofu in a few paper towels and gently squeeze out the extra water.
- Put the bacon in on one side of the pan and let it start to cook. Then add the tofu (you can start with either. I usually start with the tofu as that cooks a little bit longer than my bacon. I also use the entire package of tofu. I don’t like left over tofu, I feel it isn’t as fresh).
- Scramble the tofu up with a spatula like you would regular scrambled eggs.
- After the tofu starts to brown a little bit (again, this is something you can experiment with. I like my tofu to looked cooked so I brown mine, not to a point of being burnt but just enough.) add your seasonings to the tofu.
- At this point, the bacon should be done but of course, check it periodically to make sure it’s what you like. Remove the bacon or push it aside to let it further cook and gently mix and scramble your tofu. The tumeric will give it a nice yellow color to help it resemble scrambled eggs.
- After mixing it all together, you can add your chopped or sliced tomatoes and mix them in with your tofu scramble. I like my tomatoes warmed but still fresh enough, I don’t like it wilted, so to speak.
- If you haven’t removed the bacon yet do so at this point. It should definitely be done. Place the bacon in a nice fashion on your plate or in your bowl. Get your avocado prepped and ready to put on top of the scramble. Cut the avocado and slice it or cut it in chunks.
- Get your tofu scramble and arrange it on your dish, beside the bacon, add your shredded cheese then the avocado and enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. If you make it, I would love to see your dish! I am a complete foodie girl and love seeing how others prepare and present their food. Comment below with your dish or post on instagram and tag me @officialbrieee in your picture (if you’re comfortable with that, of course!).
Happy days, Dolls and Kens!